Friday, April 2, 2010

Atheism can ease the difficulties of a troubled world

I don’t believe in God, or gods; I don’t believe in luck, good or bad, I don’t believe in things being fair or unfair; I don’t believe in supernatural entities or happenings; and nor do I believe in the many superstitions that presently wrench at our world.
However, I do believe that it is “the believers” in these fanciful fantasies, and act on them, who are at the root of what troubles humanity.
It unsettles me that many have what appears to an uninhibited belief in such things as peace, equality, sharing, honesty and integrity but pressed, for whatever reasons, quickly abandon those values to become a “raw” person operating on base human survival instincts.
Attendance at the recent 2010 Global Atheist Melbourne Convention illustrated that atheism is more than the adherence to the belief that God, or gods, do not exist as at its core, atheism is about freedom – freedom of religion, freedom from religion, freedom of speech, freedom of choice and freedom from superstition.
We die for perceived freedoms; atheism delivers them all at no more cost than how you think.
Atheists, just like those believers in those things I’m uncomfortable about, are mostly decent people. Naturally, in whatever circles you mix, you will find people who don't equate with any understanding of moral correctness.
I do believe in anything that is measurable and understandable, while the faith that gods, supernatural happenings or superstitions demand adherence to qualities that defy rationality, empiricism and reason.
Nothing is fair or unfair, rather it just “is”; luck is neither good nor bad as all circumstances that lead to whatever has happened can be explained.
An accident of more than a decade ago opened death’s door and so to simplify the conversation, some say I was lucky to survive – it wasn’t luck, rather it had to do with exactly what happened in the accident, excellent subsequent medical attention and then the follow-up help and advice.
Does my atheism make me a better or worse person? Not necessarily either, but I identify with Hypatia of Alexandria who said: “All formal dogmatic religions are fallcious and must never by accepted by self-respecting persons as final"

No comments:

Post a Comment