Thursday, April 1, 2010

Live Where You Live

The idea that we should Live Where We Live seems to exceed the understanding of most.
It simply means that everything in our lives, including schooling, work, shopping, education, government services, leisure and recreation should be within easy walking or cycling distance. This would need, or demand, a complete reshaping of the way we live and so we have to turn our attention back to our immediate community.
This idea has excercised my mind for a few years now and in a recent visit to a free community seminar at Melbourne University I had a chance meeting with University staffer/researcher Kirsten Larsen and she pointed me toward Tansition Towns - an idea that is only a few years old but is sweeping through parts of the world.
Eager to introduce the idea to Shepparton people, I first mentioned it to Al Gore trained climate change Bunbartha orhardist, John Pettigrew, and the serendipity continued as he quickly embraced the idea and invited me to a meeting of small group that very night in Tatura that he embarked only a few months earlier on a Transition Towns project.
My interest piqued, I'm investigating the idea of working towards Transition Towns Shepparton.

No comments:

Post a Comment